Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Houston Booksigning 4-8-08

The Bluebirds-best friends since elementary school!

Some of he bluebirds hosted a booksigning for me in Houston at the beautiful home of my friend Nona. What an honor and treat for me! It was the best of the best. Nona and Lana on the left next to me hosted the party. Lucy and Megan on the right just came down for the ride. We had a blast! So many memories, so much history. God has woven our lives together lo these 50 plus years - we are blessed indeed!

We go way back. Lucy was my first friend when I moved to Fort Worth when I was five. Nona and Megan were in my class from 1st -6th grades. I met Lana on the football field in the sixth grade and we became instant friends. God is amazing in that he has given me such special, loyal, and faithful friends with whom I share my life.

The booksigning was a great reunion for me. From elementary school friends to high school and college friends, my groups stood in the same room, inner-mixed and inner-mingled. Seeing them together brought joy to my heart. It is a really wierd feeling when people show up in a gathering "out of context" and in a different setting. It made me realize how deep and how wide, how long and how vast my relationships go. They cross so many lines and intersect at so many different times in my life. I find with each new encounter, we are continually deepening and growing in friendship. The saying "people come in and out of your life for a reason," truly makes sense when viewed from a microcosm of years.

Many others too numerous to name were there. Some of the highlights: my high school big sister and sorority big sister were both there and posed together in a picture. My good friend Karen who lived across the street from me in Dallas and our friend, Vicki, who had just moved from Fort Worth to Houston posed togethr. Jane, Nona's mother, was there looking better than ever. We had many laughs about her childhood memories of all of us. I loved that I could tease her about putting me under the hairdryer at her house any time I perspired or got too hot! What a great lady and great sense of humor. Her presence symbolizes that sense of continuity and generativity, the passing on of the generations. What a great gift.

The bluebirds spent three days together, shopping, eating, sight seeing, and laughing a lot! Who could ask for more? The book was just a good excuse to join once more together to share our lives and experiences! I am blessed indeed.

No comments: