Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Guest Speaker - PEO Chapter - Sept. 18,, 2008

What a great group of ladies!

Recently I was asked to speak at a gather of about 40 women in the home of my friend Suzanne. She is a member of a local PEO chapter which I am just learning about. The PEO's are a national group that raises money for college scholarships for women, a most worthy cause, and a more dedicated group of ladies can't be found.

I was privileged to speak to them about my journey,the book, and the importance of leaving a spiritual legacy. After the meeting Doris shared with me that her mother started a journal in 1949 and faithfully wrote in it until the day she died in 1989. She says it is the most amazing thing to read. "I love that she left this piece of herself for the generations," she says. "When I read it, I feel like my mom is right here beside me and we are having a visit. I have learned so much about her from reading the journals. Everyone should do it!"

What a powerful testimony about the importance of leaving a bit of ourselves for the next generation. You never know where that might lead. Perhaps your writings will open a window into a part of you that your kids and grandkids never really knew. Perhaps your insights and outlook on the world will impact their own world view. The ramifications could make a difference for generations. Now what legacy is better than that?

2 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Marty, Your blog reminded me of something I read recently, perhaps in REAL SIMPLE. The writer's mom, no longer living, had kept all of the mother's-day cards she had received from her daughter. She had written a note to her daughter on or in each one, telling her day-in-my-life stories and tid-bits, anticipating what a good mom her daughter was going to be someday. When the author/daughter, now a mom herself, reads them it is as though she is receiving a card from her mom about mothering. The card was bringing a second, very personal blessing.

Dodgers said...

Marty

Can you tell me how to contact a P.E.O. chapter in the greater L.A. area? The only one I can find is in Redlands. My daughter is off to college this year and trying to apply for a P.E.O. scholarship in this area. Thanks, Donn, Pasadena