Thursday, September 11, 2008

Los Angeles Visit

God is alive and well - even and especially in California!

I have just returned from Los Angeles where I flew out to Simi Valley to tape a segment on Grandmothers for Lifestyle Magazine which will air sometime in 2009. While there I was blessed to spend two days with my college roommate Gail and her husband. What a treat!

Gail and Burke live in a wonderful, bedroom community, accessible to many beautiful areas. I visited their church which is large, very beautiful, and sits on a hill. Its light shines over the mansions of Bellaire. Clearly by its position and presence, this church has not kept its light hidden but has put it on a lampstand, shining for all the world to see. Very active in missions, bible study, prayer groups, and outreach its presence confirmed for me that God is indeed raising up his people everywhere to spread the good news. I was especially touched by this beautiful window above and decided to adopt it as a symbol of my visit.

One day, Gail hosted a luncheon for me with some of her friends. What delightful women - active, accomplished, "savvy"grandmothers, who obviously love the Lord. I loved hearing about Jan's son who is a missionary in Kenya, as well as some of the projects the Church supports in its outreach. It warms my heart to see that God indeed calls his people forth to feed the hungry, heal the sick, pray for his people, be involved in church planning, as well as outreach in the community - everyone there was clearly a light in their own corner of the world. Each was shining brighly, blooming in the places she had been planted.

I was amazed at how much we had in common. Truly the scripture is true when it tells us that we are one in Christ. I loved hearing their grandchildren stories. They definitley outnumber me in scope and number. Beverly said that "eight was not enough" when she married her husband, so they had two more and now have ten. In addition seventeen grandchildren keep this household hopping. Audrey has eight and says holidays are wild. I would love to be a fly on the wall for both of these gatherings! I think there might be a book in there somewhere!

We spent a lot of time discussing the world, the church, and what god calls each of us to be about. I was struck by how clearly God weaves and blends the different parts of the body of Christ. Some of us were eyes, some ears, some mouths. Clearly he is creating a picture of love for all the world to see. I was blessed to have a small glimpse into this window of light. Even thought the California section has its own beauty and style, all parts of the window glorify him in their own unique ways. What a beautiful picture he is weaving. We are all blessed to be a part.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Hi Marty,
I love the description of your LA visit and the photos of wild and wonderful grandmothers at lunch. It was a delight to get to know you, and to discover your warm heart for friendship. I will look forward to reading your blog regularly. Thank you; God bless you as you glorify Him. Jan