Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Twig - Branching Out

This savvy grandmother is branching out and The Twig Bookstore is my first stop.

I was invited to do a book signing at the Twig Bookstore, one of the few independent books stores left in the country so I went. Such a warm, open, family place. It reminds me of Meg Ryan's "Around The Corner Bookstore" in the movie "You've Got Mail". Too bad there are not more of these independents around. We need to support them as they compete with megagiants in all areas of the country. The Twig's agenda includes book discussions and guest-authors in an atmosphere of "come by for a cup of coffee" - a great idea and great fun.

What a great group of ladies that came. Unbenownst to me, I was to give a talk and though I was un-prepared, we had a great time-savvy grandmothers all. The women were from varied groups. Some shared the same bookclub and others were members from the San Antonio Assistance League. These women do a yeoman's job of outfitting underprivileged children in the SASD. Not only do they get clothes and money for uniforms, but they each get a dictionary in their packs.

We had a lot of fun and shared some of our favorite grandmother stories. One lady shared that as a child her grandmother lived next door. They had a large family that shared the responsibilites of dishwashing. Whenever a grandchild didn't want to do the dishes they went next door and got their grandmother, who willingly and unselfishly did their turn. She claims Mom never knew. Now that is one "savvy" grandmother!

Dinah shared that her four-year-old grandson loves to go to the grocery store with her and especially likes to ride in the red cart. He says he never gets to with Mom so he and "Grahams" race through the store laughing and singing and having a ball. Now isn't that just like a grandmother!

In addition we had two drive-bys during the discussion time. My good friend Rob, my son's godfather, dropped in on his way to work to give me a hug. Undaunted by the room full of women, he gave hugs to all who asked. Jean, my friend Joanie's sister also stopped by. Joanie lives in Wisconsin and I haven't seen her in thirty years. I sent her a copy of the book and shse has become my best PR agent yet! I had never met her sister but knew her immediately. I could see Joanie in her face.

All in all it was a great time. This was a great branching out for me - and the Twig was a great place to start. Thanks Dinah and Maggie for such a great opportunity and fun time!

No comments: