Monday, September 1, 2008

Rule Booksigning 6-20-08

Jim is from a small town in West Texas - Rule - 60 mikes north of Abilene. Growing up it was a town of 1500 people. Now it has shrunk to about 350. A nicer group of people cannot be found. Salt of the earth, grounded, family-oriented, these people of faith work hard, till the land, and live to the best of their ability.

Jim's mom's friends own an antique shop there and offered to have a booksigning. Coupling it with the squash cook-off was a brainstorm that is more than worth mentioning.

Early on I could see that I was second fiddle to the cookoff. Over 50 entries the categories ranged from appetizers to deserts, vegetables to casseroles. And everyone was different.

I had a blast. Here I am with Molly, one of Jim's best friends and classmates. Jim's mom would have loved it. Jim, of course knew everyone and had many memories to share. I just enjoyed seeing a part of the town I had not witnessed before. I confess, it was my first squash cook-off ever! I had decided not to enter my squash casserole in fear I might win and steal the show. No problem there - next to these recipes my casserole didn't have a chance! Sometimes God protects us in spite of ourselves. As we all know, "pride cometh before a fall"!

No comments: