Sunday, November 16, 2008

Park Cities Book Club - November 13, 2008

Today I spoke at the Park Cities Book CLub. The Club was started in 1928 and continues till today. Many of the members had grandmothers and great grandmothers in the club. Meeting in homes on a monthly basis their interests range from fiction to non-fiction to inspirational.

I met one woman who shared how she passes on her memories to the next generation. She is a scrapbooker and makes a special scrapbook for each of her grandchildren. She says they can't wait until its their turn.

I also visited with Beverly who had just returned from Georgia where she visited some of her ancestral heritage. She told the history of her great-great grandmother during and after the civil war. Apparently this woman was sharp as a tack. She opened a woman's college and donated her life savings to helping underpriveleged children get an education. I never cease to be amazed at the ingenuity of women and their perseverence and faith. Part of my talk earlier had been about being the "power of one" in the world and making a difference. Here was one woman who took the bull by the horns and made a major difference in hundreds of lives.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera again. I guess I will have to tie it to my body so I won't forget it in the future. I carry these wonderful memories and ladies in my heart, but it makes me so mad I don't have them in picture form for posterity. Perhaps I need to eat more protein - doesn't that help strengthen the memory bank?

No comments: